Building new connections and creating moments of meaning.
Nickel City Shabbat
Nickel City Shabbat is a project to support young adults in hosting self-directed and self-designed Shabbat experiences, which are authentically Jewish and personally meaningful. We seek to nurture and amplify the ever-evolving Jewish lives of our friends. Nickel City Shabbat hosts are individuals who call Buffalo home; hosts welcome and enrich guests from all backgrounds and with all levels of familiarity with Judaism to their Shabbat experience. Nickel City Shabbat gatherings provide an inviting space for the members of the Buffalo community to share themselves, their spirituality, Jewish texts and rituals of their choosing, and their food. As a volunteer-led project, the Nickel City Shabbat derives its strength and its warmth from you.
Slow down, hit pause, and give yourself the gift of sharing a Shabbat dinner with people you love.
Are you thinking about hosting a Shabbat dinner? We are here to help! Already know that you want to host a Nickel City Shabbat? Fill out the form below!
Step 1: What are you committing to
- Offering a space to celebrate Shabbat and dine.
- Your most hamish *yiddish for cosy/homey* and host-y-ness self!
- A willingness to offer a minimum of 2 seats at your Shabbat table to guests from the Nickel City Shabbat community.
- A few short communications with the Nickel City Shabbat team.
Step 2: Plan your Shabbat gathering
- Work with the Nickel City Shabbat team to pick a date. [Link to calendar of Shabbats].
- Share your address and a short description of your Shabbat experience and meal.
- Plan your meal and craft your Shabbat content.
Step 3: What we can offer you
Our team is here to help with a menu of different ways to help:
- Challah and wine
- Shabbat resources
- A Shabbat mentor
Volunteer to Host!
Share the beauty of Shabbat with your inner circle by hosting a Nickel City Shabbat experience. We’re looking for twelve hosts, one for each month in 2019. Pick a date and customize your Shabbat (think: Nickel City Shabbat Luau or Nickel City Shabbat Friendsgiving) and we’ll support you with the rest.